“There’s an old poem by Neruda that I’ve always been captivated by, and one of the lines in it has stuck with me ever since the first time I read it. It says “love is so short, forgetting is so long.” It’s a line I’ve related to in my saddest moments, when I needed to know someone else had felt that exact same way. And when we’re trying to move on, the moments we always go back to aren’t the mundane ones. They are the moments you saw sparks that weren’t really there, felt stars aligning without having any proof, saw your future before it happened, and then saw it slip away without any warning. These are moments of newfound hope extreme joy, intense passion, wishful thinking, and in some cases, the unthinkable letdown. And in my mind, every one of these memories looks the same to me. I see all of these moments in bright, burning, red.”
“I was listening to a lot of late 80’s pop, because I really loved the chances they were taking I loved how bold they were. So being inspired by that I started delving into the late 80’s - and what I found was that it was apparently a time of limitless potential. And the idea that you can do what you want, be who you want, wear what you want, love what you want - bright colors, bold chances, rebellion. The idea of that was so inspiring to me…but basically in thinking about that, and thinking about how this new album is a bit of a rebirth for me because it’s so now. I’ve never really made these kinds of changes before. And having been born on December 13th, 1989…this album is called 1989.”
COMPLIMENTS THAT AREN’T ABOUT PHYSICAL APPEARANCE
1) You’re empowering.
2) I like your voice.
3) You’re strong.
4) I think your ideas/beliefs matter.
5) I’m so happy you exist.
6) More people should be listening to what you have to say.
7) You’re a very warm hearted person.
8) It’s nice seeing such kindness.
9) You’re very down to earth.
10) You have a beautiful soul.
11) You inspire me to become a better person.
12) Our conversations bring me a lot of joy.
13) It’s good to see someone care so much.
14) You’re so understanding.
15) You matter a lot to me.
16) You’re important even if you don’t think so.
17) You’re intelligent.
18) Your passion is contagious.
19) Your confidence is refreshing.
20) You restore my faith in humanity.
21) You’re great at being creative.
22) You’re so talented at ____.
23) I don’t get tired of you the way I get tired of other people.
24) You have great taste in ___.
25) I’m happy I stayed alive long enough to meet you.
26) I wish more people were like you.
27) You’re so good at loving people.
You know that moment you feel when you wake up and realize you have more time to sleep? Or, when you accidentally overhear someone say something nice about you? Or when you see someone you like and your heart races? Or even when you reach a goal you set for yourself? Now, remember what that feels like - and next time you’re upset, or sad, or crying - think about that feeling.